Friday, August 29, 2008

Decoupage + Altoids Tins: A Sort-of Tutorial

A while back I mentioned the possibility of using candy tins as a container for my resin magnet sets. I decided to try decoupage with a tin yesterday, and it was so dang FUN. Here's how it worked out.

This sort of shows how I did it. The images came from "Scuffy the Tugboad" (a Little Golden Book). I sealed them first with Mod Podge. Then I painted Gesso on the box. I used some old ledger paper as the background. Once the Mod Podge was dry on the little pictures, I painted more M.P. on the paper, let that dry, then more on the back of and over the images on the box. I finished it off with my new favorite product, DecoArt's Triple Thick Brillant Brosh-on Gloss Glaze. You can't really tell from the photo, but the top of the box is really shiny.


Next time, I'll spray paint the boxes first and that may eliminate the need for Gesso. Now it's time for a trip to Goodwill to find some more vintage story books!

1 comment:

Brook said...

cute! I love the little boy!